1913 106′ x 21′ Historic Houseboat
Price: Reasonable Offers Will Be Entertained
- Large Historic 106 ft. Houseboat for Sale
- This is an old houseboat, located in the 1000 Islands region.
- It was built in the era of the Titanic, between 1911-1913, after the style of the time.
- It is 106 ft. long X 21 ft. wide, and is double decked, with two floors.
The houseboat is presently on an island, aground.
- It needs a new or used barge to float again, some work on the superstructure, and probably new plumbing and new electrical wiring.
It comprises a full compliment of 2 suite-bedrooms, 4 cabin-bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, a large dining room, full kitchen, living room with fireplace, and 3 decks for outside living and entertainment.
One of these decks is large enough to have had posts which would swing up, for dancing, at the time.
One long corridor links 3 of the cabins on the 1st deck, and catwalks allow access to the different areas of the boat, on either side and above on the boat.
- It belonged to a certain Commodore Gillespie, then to Alfred DeWitt Mason and his family, and subsequently to Colonel K.W. Slauson and his family. Colonel Slauson had another large houseboat prior to this one, the “Lysander”, a picture of which can be seen at Boldt’s Castle. They seemed to like the properties of a floating house, which allowed them to occupy an area of water, and be gently rocked by waves, and to receive guests royally when they arrived in chauffeured mahogany wooden boats, for cocktails and conversation. Then, houseboats were small or large, and offered a place to live and to enjoy the ‘1000 Islands’, and there were a number of them at the time.
The present houseboat has been occupied by 5 generations of the same family. Guests from all over the world have stayed there.
It was run as a special kind of Bed & Breakfast for 25 years, providing comfort and wonder to many visitors.
It is a unique period piece, with lots of character, perfect for an historic renovation project, both a house and a boat ! For example, a barge of appropriate size could be bought, and the superstructure moved onto it, and it could be floated away !
Location: Ontario, Canada