Built 1967. Extensive Retrofit from 1998 to 2019. Like New Condition.
Steel Motorsailer yachts used to be popular vessels for world sailors until the 70s. The arrival of production yachts in the 60s and the explosion of the charter industry in the following years changed the public perception of yachting.
Today only a few builders offer customized options at a premium price.
Iolair Mara is a unique yacht built-in CA in the late sixties. Her ¼ inch steel hull, her tri keels design, her 5’6”’ draft, and her 3000 nm range under power will sail expeditions all around the globe or entertain charter clients in the Bahamas, HI, or Alaska.
In 1998 she was hauled out for a $ 2.5 M retrofit that was 60 % completed in 2005.
A series of dramatic events follow. She was sized. Stayed 6 years on the hard shrink-wrapped.
The actual owner got her out of the yard in 2012, completed the 40% remaining refit to get her to her original glory.
She was lucky to have found John. It has been a perfect match for both of them. John loves a strong, well-powered world cruiser. He is now proud to offer this showcase vessel for a portion of the price it would cost to build her today.
The Owner will be available to train the buyer and going through the vessel equipment, systems, structure, detailing the yacht maintenance and running procedure.
She is a working vessel in luxurious yachts clothing. Stunning true teak inside and out, (not teak ply) state of the art power plant, new engine in 1998 by Harbor Diesel in Long Beach CA (172 hours at the odometer in 2012 then sailed to Ensenada and hasn’t docked the dock since).
New electrical panel & wiring between 1998 & 2004, new plumbing 2003. New massive Ideal windlass anchoring with 440 ft of 7/16 J4 chain in 2016, 175 lbs Mantus anchor 2016, 60 lbs CQR stern anchor on a GHK Fabrication hydraulic massive horizontal windlass (commercial fishing grade windlass) 2012 new rigging system. New sails from 2005 were installed on the vessel in 2012. They were never sailed until we shot this video. 2001 sandblasted to bare metal ultra-sonic testing in 2012. 12 zincs bar new in 2001 replaced every 3 years. A set of zincs is available on the vessel.
She is well balanced and comfortable in strong weather thanks to her ketch rig. Keels cooled engine and generator for dry exhausts. The 2 side keel is filled with antifreeze. Only 3 though hull on the boat; intake for the head and the intake sea chest. Another through-hull in the side for the water maker.
She is a dock queen American-built hull that could be a successful charter in the US territory thanks to her beautiful interior.
2018 INSURANCE SURVEY AVAILABLE.
- Detroit Diesel 671 6 cylinders. 250 HP new 1998.
- Fuel Tanks 1470 g. Water Tank 1000 g.
- CQR 156 lbs. Bow Anchor. Manta 125 lbs Stern Anchor.
- 18 x 6 V Lifeline AMG Batteries (12 x 6V batteries connected in serial in the engine room, 3 x 12V batteries dedicated to the electric winches). Replaced 2016.
- Northern Lights 10 KW Generator (128 hours) dry exhaust.
- Magnum MS 2812 Inverter / Charger.
- Shore Power 120 V 50 Amp.
- Solar Panel Charger (Charge Master 2420-3).
- new upholstery Ultraleather Brisa Sand (2020)
- Interior varnish (2019)
- Sole Varnish (2021)
- Ocean Aire sky screen (2020)
- Weems and Plath clock/ barometer rebuild (2020)
- New Curtains (2013)
- Lazarette and freezer paint (2021)
- All new Sails in 2005. Got out of their bags in 2012. Were sailed once for the video shoot.
- Diesel Heating System.
MORE SPECS ARE IN THE DESCRIPTION SECTION.